FAQ: Phone Service

FAQ: Phone Service

Q: How does telephone number assignment work?

A: The assignment of a number to a customer’s telephone service will be made at the discretion of the telephone company. the customer has no proprietary right in the number, and the company may make such reasonable changes in the telephone number or central office designation as the requirements of the service may demand.

Q: When will I get my phone bill?

A: Bills will be issued monthly and are due upon predestination. They cover the local service charge for one month in advance from the date of the bill, and long distance charges for the previous toll billing period. To mail your payment…

NTT Fiber | P.O. Box 290 | De Leon, TX 76444

Q: What should I do if I disagree with a charge on my bill?

A: If you disagree with a particular charge on your bill, please call the telephone number which appears at top of the page on which the charge appears. This will enable you to talk with a customer service representative from the company which has applied that charge on your bill.

Q: Is there a late fee if I am late paying my bill?

A: There is no late fee if you are late paying your bill. If you are a business, a late payment penalty of 5.0% will be assessed to the current balance.

Q: How can I check and verify that my payment has been received?

A: Call NTT Fiber at the telephone number which appears at the top of your bill during normal business hours to verify the last payment we have received and your current account balance.

Q: Why are there so many taxes and surcharges on my bill?

A: Government agencies have found phone bills to be an effective way to assess and collect taxes because the majority of the people receive one. NTT Fiber and other telephone companies collect the required taxes as part of the total phone bill and send the appropriate amounts back to the taxing agency. Federal, state and local governments assess taxes and surcharges for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common charges include: 911 charges – usually a dedicated tax that provides funds for the communications systems that support emergency and quick response police, fire and ambulance services with identification of phone number and location; Federal exercise taxes – taxes assessed by the United States government on telephone services; Assistance Plans – often referred to as Universal Service Funds of Telephone Assistance Plans, these are dedicated monies used to provide telephone subsidies to low income or physically challenged individuals or families who could not otherwise afford the service; Municipal surcharges and fees – taxes and fees ordinarily assessed by local governments and often used to pay for special bonds or levies, often to support new 911 or other telephone services.

Q: What should I do if I need to report a trouble with my line and/or any damaged lines, pedestals or poles?

A: Should you need to report any trouble, please call 940-529-6123.

Q: What happens when a problem is found after I report trouble?

A: When you call to report a problem we will do our best to locate and clear the trouble. If the trouble is in our lines or switching equipment, we will take quick action to correct the problem. if it is determined that the source of the problem is your telephone, then you should follow the instructions on the telephone warranty for repair. repair to your equipment or wiring, if requested, would be billed at a time and material charge.

Q: Is there any troubleshooting I can do on my own should I have a problem?

A: Absolutely! If you take a few minutes to double check the following items, you problem may be easier to fix than you thought:

1. Check your equipment (i.e. cordless phone, answering machine or fax), by disconnecting it from the phone jack and power source. Sometimes resetting your equipment will restore service.
2. Make sure all of your phones are hung up.
3. Do a visual inspection of all exposed wiring and connections for damage or loose connections.
4. If you have more than one outlet, check each instrument at each outlet to determine of operation can be obtained from any outlet.
5. To isolate jack or house wiring problems, move a working telephone to each jack in the house to find which location is causing the trouble.

Q: How do I disconnect my service?

A: There is no charge to disconnect your phone service. Call your customer sales and service representative at 940-529-6123.

Q: Who do I call if I need to dig where there might be buried phone cables?

A: Call 811 or 800-545-6005 (One-call Board of Texas) to locate an underground cable.